Swazi Team 08






Day 1- January 15, 2008
Our team arrived at Bishop Airport at 11:30 am. Our families stayed for awhile visiting and then we said our goodbyes. Braden usually cries when we leave each other and it always breaks my heart, but this time was much harder as I have never been away from him for more than a few days. As Ashley walked away with a crying Braden in her arms, I started to cry too, which if you know me; you know that’s not uncommon. Some people look at crying as a weakness, but I believe it is a great strength. Crying always makes me feel better, not only is it cleansing but it also feels as good as screaming to the top of your lungs when you’re frustrated.

After the goodbyes were said, we went on to our gate, but of course before we could get there; we had to go through security. It was pretty funny; the two young ones of our team Krista and Lisa went through like they knew the protocol and it was just part of their daily routine. Then along come me and Tammy, the two that “had the airport been busy” would have everyone behind them impatiently waiting. I was first and had to go through the metal detector a couple times due to my cell phone left in my back pocket, oops! Forgot that was there. Then my laptop had to be put in a separate bin by itself. Oh and I hand my wallet to the guy instead of my passport. That wasn’t all too bad, I’m learning I thought. Tammy is behind me and seems to be doing better at this, I thought well she used to be a flight attendant, I should have just let her go first and followed her lead, I thought that way until we got all the way through to the end when the security guy went through our luggage. He opened Tammy’s and pulled out 2 two gallon sized zip lock bags full of toiletries…..liquids, solids, semi liquids, semi solids, some bottles of shampoo, gels and bubble bath, full size versions! I think I may have even seen a stray hair curler or two. The look of shock on all our faces was priceless as we stared at what appeared to be the entire contents of Tammy’s bathroom. The security gentleman looked at Tammy and said, I’m going to have to send you back. Tammy just stared at him in disbelief. She had that “deer in the head light” look, and the airport security officer, “gentleman that he was” had realized that Tammy had shut down. She wasn’t responding and she had that disbelieving look about her. He started removing non-liquid items from the bag and placing them in her suitcase, he then pulled out two bins and placed all legal liquids in one bin and oversize liquids in the other. So Tammy had to choose what she absolutely needed and what she could do without. It took some time to decide, but this was a very important decision, not one to be taken lightly. All in all, It was pretty funny!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank you!

Let my heart be broken by the things that break the heart of God!

The Beginning